Category Archives: Photography
As cliched as it might sound, the wedding day is the most beautiful and memorable day for the bridal couple. Everything needs to be in perfect precision – the rings, the bouquets, catering, decoration, and … the wedding album. Yes, without a doubt, the wedding album is one of the most important entities, because years later, these photographs will catapult the couple to a trip down memory lane. Which explains why the job of a wedding photographer is very important. He has to freeze the lovely memories in print so the couple can reminiscence about their happier times much later. It is however, not so easy to become a wedding photographer, you need an aesthetic approach and a natural sense of creativity, combined with a genuine dedication to make people’s lives happier. Not to forget, determination and hard work to make a success of your assignment. To help you in this regard, the paragraphs below enlist some of the things a wedding photographer needs to know.
- The job of a wedding photographer is of course, to take photographs of the wedding day.
- They mostly work on a contractual basis, irrespective of whether they are hired from a studio or they freelance.
- They have to plan and take photographs – beginning with the bride walking down the aisle, the exchange of the rings, the reciting of the vows, the kiss, then, the guests, the first dance, the festivities to follow, luncheon, and on and on it goes.
- What they need to remember is the order of priority.
- The duties do not end with merely taking photographs, they have to be developed, processed, and designed accordingly.
- The pictures of the bride and the groom must especially be taken care of very carefully, and must be artistically designed (like enclosing them in lovely frames, etc.).
- They must discuss these details prior to the ceremony, and act according to the client expectations.
- If you are running your own agency, your job responsibilities include staying abreast of the photography market and the latest equipment.
- Hard Work
- High Creativity
- Excellent Interpersonal Skills
- Attention to Detail
- As such, there is no formal education required for this field.
- Of course, that does not mean that you have to remain a high school graduate and expect to learn it all on your own – the statement merely means that formal education is not mandatory.
- This means that if you have sufficient training as an amateur or assistant photographer, you may qualify for this field too.
- If however, you want a formal degree, there are many associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, and special diploma courses available at different design and art schools.
- Your study stint will consist of varied courses and subjects, namely – basic photography skills, digital imaging, image processing, digital editing, graphic design, light exposure, color coordination, focus, shutter speed, etc.
- You will be exposed to the technical aspects of the trade as well – you will be taught about the various tools and equipment, like the different types of camera, lenses, filters, sensors, tripod, etc.
- You will learn about the scientific part as well – the solutions and tricks you will need to develop the photographs, the angle at which pictures have to be clicked, location, etc.
- The software aspect will be taught too. You will learn about the various photo-editing software and the techniques to use them.
- You will also be taught about the general poses, the expected poses, the list of ceremonies, etc.
- What you need to remember though, is that this field requires more of a practical stint.
- Even your courses will be 50% theory and 50% practical.
- Therefore, practice as an amateur, and gain as much experience as you can.
- Volunteer for minor league parties, parades, and events.
- You have to build a good portfolio – it is your Bible, and it is what your prospective hiring agencies and clients will look at.
- As already mentioned, you will be expected to have a lot of practical experience.
- You cannot immediately start out as an independent photographer, even with a specialization.
- This is because this field requires immense customer trust – which means that you need to establish a loyal customer base, and this can be done when you have good contacts and you work through an already reputed agency.
- After completing your studies, begin by joining reputed studios.
- You may not be given on-location assignments immediately, you might have to wait for a while.
- Even if you have experience, you will undergo training at your workplace so that you learn to adapt to their style and techniques.
- You will be sent as an assistant photographer to various weddings.
- Your pictures will be checked, analyzed, criticized, and approved by your senior, who is probably the chief photographer for the wedding.
- As you learn more and more, you might be given a chance to cover a wedding assignment of your own.
- You can work there for a few years, make contacts, establish your niche, create a loyal clientèle, and eventually branch out on your own.
How to Begin and Work
- This is solely if you are planning to start your independent studio.
- Choose your style and format.
- Rent a good place to start the studio.
- Buy good quality equipment, as mentioned earlier. Choose the right lenses.
- Market your portfolio – this is the most important tactic.
- If you have anyone from your loyal clientèle, you can request them to recommend you for an event.
- Once you are publicized through word-of-mouth, you will start getting offers.
- Choose a good name for your business – good wedding photography names go a long way to attract clients.
- Set the price carefully. If you start off being too pricey, you will not get any customer. All the same, if you start off too low, you might be taken advantage of. Speak to the right people and arrive at a decision.
- Your portfolio should be up-to-date.
- When you get an assignment, first speak to the couple and family.
- Hire an attorney and get the wedding agreement prepared. This part is very important, and it is a legal requirement. All the information regarding the event and your contribution and fees, should be mentioned in the document.
- Check the venue carefully, decide on the shots and discuss this with the clients.
- Check all the equipment, and think of the most creative and unique ways to make the best of this assignment.
- Process and format the photographs correctly.
- Be committed and deliver the album on time. If you procrastinate, it becomes a permanent blot on your career.
- Have a backup plan in case of risks. What if it starts raining? Or you fall ill? Create a risk assessment plan.
- After the wedding is over and you submit the album, follow up and check if the couple is happy with your work. You must take the plunge here even if they don’t.
- Salaries vary tremendously in creative fields.
- Your salary will depend on your skill, experience, the event covered (if it is a small-budget wedding, you will be paid less), and also the agency where you work.
- When you are just an intern, you might probably be paid on an hourly basis.
- An assistant photographer will again be paid according to the work done.
- Since these jobs are mostly carried on a contractual basis, a general figure is difficult to determine.
- According to the BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics), as of May 2013, photographers can earn more than USD 36,000 annually.
- However, this should be intended solely as a guideline, and you must remember that their salaries are always subject to change.
- In fact, if you are an independent photographer, your pay check will vary greatly.
- The job is believed to have a decent potential in the years to come.
- Come what may, weddings and parties are never going to cease to exist.
- If you are talented and smart enough, you will qualify to be the right candidate and earn well.
- Of course, your job is not going to be as glamorous as it seems – you will have to put up with late-night schedule, customer demands, style refinement, initial rejection, etc.
- Despite all that, the work environment can be electric if you love the camera.
- The BLS predicted that the growth rate for this job will be around 4$ between 2012 and 2022.
Mistakes to Avoid
- If you are still an assistant photographer, do not try to go overboard and take individual pictures of the couple. Do not do any such thing until your senior tells you to. Neither will he appreciate it, nor will the couple.
- Help choose the right background – an incorrect background will spoil the entire picture even if your shot is technically correct.
- Take up an assignment only if you feel you can handle it properly. No, no, I am not discouraging any one. But if you feel you need more exposure, feel free to say so and wait for another opportunity.
- Never, I mean never panic if your equipment fails at the venue. Most agencies provide a backup pronto, but if they don’t, keep a cool head and think of an alternative. You start panicking and create a scene, your career goes down the drain.
- Do not use substandard quality. Irrespective of whether you work for a small agency, or you freelance, or even if the wedding is small-budget, use good quality equipment, image filters, and cameras. You work is visual, therefore you cannot afford a compromise.
- Never forget your checklist – there have been instances where photographers have forgotten what to do when.Do not subject yourself to such an embarrassing situation.
Things to Remember
- Prepare extremely well before the wedding. Know the schedule, remember the discussions with the couple, and triple-check all the equipment.
- Make sure your backup is in place – this includes extra cameras, lenses, flash units, batteries, memory cards, etc.
- It is a general norm to visit the wedding venue before the event. While doing so, pay close attention to every detail. Take in the background, the church, surrounding area, etc.
- This will help you decide the location and lighting details.
- Check your insurance. You might love kids of course, but you cannot deny that they can be absolute brats at such events. If children (or adults for that matter) break your equipment (high grade equipment can be really costly, by the way), you will need the payout.
- Shooting all day can be very exhausting. So, take care of your health. Eat properly, and if you are prone to certain illnesses, carry the required medicines. You cannot afford to fall sick or faint during the ceremony.
- You might face a lot of rejection initially, but don’t let this get you down.
- Remember that this job is seasonal, and you might go for weeks without work.
- The job requires you to be highly responsible. You might have a tremendous workload too.
- The work, as mentioned earlier, functions on customer support. So, try to be at your charming best. Cultivate good relationships.
- A very important point to remember – if you are one of those who dreams of a monthly pay check and a cushy, 9-5 job, this is not your forte. This field is subject to changing markets and clients, and will require you to be on high alert all the time.
- Try to set up a niche, but do not get obsessed with the same. Your trend may be in demand for a while, and then, the gear will change. You need to adjust yourself based on your customer’s demands only.
If you are hardworking, you love the camera, and you have a creative sense, this is one of the best professions for you. Add to it a dash of style and you are all set. Play by the ground rules; begin small, but aim big. Eventually, you might open your own studio!
PartyShots NY came about after attending events with less than stellar entertainment. With over seven years experience in the event coordination and photography fields, we realized there was the need for a higher quality service. partyShots NY is a trendy photo booth rental new york service that will add hours of fun to any event. We offer the newest technology and concepts in the industry that are sure to blow your guests away. Our trendy new york photo booth rental service will be sure to add hours of fun to any event. We pride ourselves on offering the newest technology and latest creative concepts in the industry that are sure to impress all of your guests! To make your next event the most talked about party for weeks to come let partyShots NY capture that perfect moment.
- 3 Hrs Service
- Wall Projection Slideshow
- Branded Message or Logo
- Setup, Breakdown, & Delivery
BYO Booth allows you to crowd source your event photos. It’s simple. Just pick a hash tag and tell your guests to tag their photos when they upload them to Instagram & Twitter. partyShotsny BYO Booth will monitor Instagram & Twitter for photos (&videos) matching that hash tag and will automatically download, print, and display them with your own custom template and/or branding.
- 3 Hrs Service
- Unlimited Photos
- 4 Strip or Full 4×6 Inch Prints
- Custom Message or Logo
- USB/DVD of Images
- Any 4 background images
- Share via Email, Facebook,
- Twitter, SMS, Pinterest
- Deluxe Props
- (1) On-Site Attendant
- Setup, Breakdown, & Delivery
What’s unique about Green Screen Photography, is the ability to super-impose photos onto any background image you choose! Guests have the option to choose their perfect background for their event whether it be a movie premiere poster or an exotic location. We have libraries of backgrounds for you to choose from, or you can supply your own! Imagine yourself atop a mountain or even next to your favorite celebrity! The possibilities are endless!
- 3 Hrs Service
- Unlimited Videos
- (2) Attendants
- Wall Projection Slideshow
- DVD of Videos
- Slow Motion Props
- Setup, Breakdown, & Delivery
Using high-speed cameras we can create extreme slow motion videos of you and your guests. After some brief direction from our attendants your guests will be ready to create their own super creative slow motion videos. Experience the newest fad in the industry!
What People Say About PartyShotsny
I offered to write this review for PartyShotNY because they were fantastic! They took great pictures, customized our take-away postcard photos, had plenty of props for the kids and were very professional. The kids had a great time with their dates and friends, from romantic pictures to fun photos. Their pricing was very affordable and they worked with our business office on contracts. It’s my pleasure to say that I already booked them for next years event! – Karen Hoferichter of Fox Lane High School
Are you struck for some unique and new photography ideas? Well, this is a common problem faced by many amateur photographers. They love to click, but don’t know what to capture! If you are one of those, bored of capturing the same scenes, then here are some classic and creative photography ideas for you.
Creative Photography Techniques
Capture an Action
Most photos are still pictures, but this time get some action snaps. Actions happen and an ordinary human eye will just miss out, so, why not capture the same! Capturing such actions is a great idea. Saw the way a stone thrown in water travels inside? Then, just capture it and have a nice snap. You can also take such a pic by throwing a stone or a small object in a huge vessel. Or how about bullets piercing a bottle filled with water? Try and capture such actions and have a good collection.
Explore the Zoom-in
You might have restricted the zoom-in option for faces and far-away objects, it is time to use this to have some detailed photograph of closer objects. Yes, one of the creative photography ideas is to explore this option and you are sure to have some amazing snaps in the memory card. Look for those small stones, cents, shells, flowers, butterflies, a color palette and many more such things which you might not have thought of capturing by pressing on the zoom-in button and have classic snaps.
Monochromatic Photography Theme
What’s your idea of a monochromatic photograph? Black and white photography? Well, that’s right and definitely what most of you think. But, black and white photography is not all. Monochrome is a photography theme which means ‘of one color’. What this ‘one color’ is, completely depends up to your choice, it can be red, black, violet, green, yellow or just any color. Ever wondered how classy a photograph would look in shades of a single color?
Shoot at Different Time
There’s no need to explain the difference in view of a mountain range in early morning and during the late evenings. So, got an idea? Capturing the same object, place or view at different time of a day is definitely one of the best photography ideas. Night photography is something that you would just love to do again and again. Those colors, shadows and shades, which are nowhere during the daytime can be seen during the dark nights giving you some extremely beautiful snaps.
While you can always try the aforementioned creative photography ideas, don’t forget to explore your interest areas to click some unique photographs. If you love those speedy racing bikes or cars, just capture them. If capturing emotions is what you love, you can definitely get a lot of good snaps. One of the fun photography ideas is to click an object in various angles, no need to mention the funny upside down pictures! Other creative techniques like time-lapse photography, still life photography can also be considered to complete your collection of out-of-the-box photographs.
No doubt in the fact that now the industry of publishing went through a massive change and made the presence of product photography services even more valuable.
The world of online shopping is now in the craze, and so almost all online outlets are in need of product images for the quick attraction of the potential customers. Excellent quality Product Photography can give a new boost to the online stores making it an instant hit in the mind of the people.
Product photographers are open for work with businesses of any sizes. Their main motto is to showcase the product of the company with appealing imaginary. The expert photographers in this category conduct shoot for apparel, accessories, furniture, home wares, industrial and hardware product, packaging and what not.
Be it any product these photographers can make it stand unique in the competitive era. Here are a few important facts about the photography service that helps one to know about its importance.
What’s the secret behind the hiring of a Product Photographer?
The question is very tricky. As most of us know the minimal application of camera then why don’t we get the photographs clicked by on our own and use for product promotion? Why make investments on the specialized Product Photographer? The main reason behind it is that a product photographer is specially trained to make a right application of light and shade enhances the primary key features of the product so that it can appeal the eyes of the customer.
What are the right areas for making application for product photography?
What we use and what we buy for a special occasion or even for daily use, all are products and so the presence of product photography is everywhere in our life. Businesses make use of product photography for branding materials, in magazine ads, website display and also for sharing on all social media platforms for promotion.
Ways to find the best Product Photographer:
If you are looking for only the best product photographer for you then, in that case, keep one mandatory point on a note. A good product photographer will have a strong presence both offline as well as online. Just with few clicks of your mouse you can reach them. Give a check on the displayed portfolio of the assignments which they have completed so far.
Feel free to enquire about the specialization they had in product photography. Some may be good in outfit product photography and some may be good in furniture photography or may be in something else. Check his/ her knowledge about light treatment for this particular photography as that’s important.
Asking for referrals will be a great idea for finding the right expert for Product Photography Services.
LIQUID PHOTOGRAPHY STUDIO’s is one of the best photography firms having huge expertise in product photography. This firm takes every needed arrangement to set the product carefully under perfect light to highlight every feature of the product to create an appeal in the minds of the viewers.
Things will turn in your favour when you hire the best photographer for your products.
Not everyone is familiar with the latest photography techniques, and when you add high-end digital cameras in the mix, you can expect issues to arise. And who says that you need to be an expert like Martin Klimas, Nigel Barker, Jill Greenberg, or any other famous photographer to take beautiful pictures. You can just as well be an amateur and still get the best pictures possible. How, you ask? The first step to taking workable pictures is by understanding your camera. Whether your camera is the latest model with innumerable features or is an older model from few years, you have to familiarize yourself with it.
Taking group photographs isn’t different than taking portrait, still, or landscape photographs. Regardless of the number of people, you can capture images that are natural, pleasant, and elegant. In this article, we are going to give you some tips for indoor and outdoor photography that will enhance the images tenfold.
Tips for Indoor and Outdoor Photography
Imagine that you and your family (or friends) are gathered for a special occasion and you wish to capture this moment forever. You grab the camera and start clicking pictures. But somewhere down the line, the light is too bright or dull, you can’t capture the angles correctly, and/or you are confused with all the different features on the camera.
The point to remember is that everything lies in the facial expressions. Whether you click pictures inside the house or somewhere outside, the secret to liven up the images is in everyone’s faces. When you focus on them, rather than the background, you end up clicking the best pictures. Now, I don’t mean that a background doesn’t count. But the point is, you don’t always have to focus on the background. For an amateur photographer, concentrating on the subjects’ faces is very crucial. Once you have mastered this art, you can move on to other details of pictures and features your camera has to offer.
- First of all, using natural light is the best way to capture vibrant images. Yes, it does sound ironic but it’s the truth. Using the flash has its own benefits and it is quite tempting to use them indoors as well. Which is why, try taking pictures with the light coming from the windows and doors. Have everyone stand in such a way so that the light falls directly on their faces.
- Second of all, pick backgrounds that are easy to work with. A plain wall, a couch, a table, or even a computer desk with as little clutter as possible will work in your favor. When there are less things to get distracted by, the focus stays on the people in the images. You want to accentuate the people in the images and not the background.
- With large groups, using a tripod is the best way to avoid shaky images. This is one of the most important tips for beginners; whether the images are being taken indoors or outdoors. With a tripod, you will spend less time deleting shaky images and more time clicking pictures.
- Always take 2 to 3 shots of the same poses so while editing, you can select the best one. With large groups, you are bound to get certain shots with someone’s eyes closed, a person looking away from the camera, people yawning, making weird faces, etc. So instead of wasting the images, you can delete the ones that aren’t perfect and select the ones that are.
- Always read the instructions that come with the camera. The different features like ISO, shutter speed, white balance, light sensitivity, and camera modes are provided for a reason. Experiment with the features and see what results you get.
- The light is your best friend here. While clicking outdoor pictures, you have enough light to capture the images without having to use the flash. However, you need to be aware of the direction of the light, where the group is standing, and is there any light falling directly over the camera lens. Of course, with practice, you will understand the difference and how you (the photographer) need to position yourself to get perfect images possible.
- Many times, you will notice that the faces in the images are coming a bit dark, even after you’ve used the natural light effect. Here, what you can do is use the reflecting light technique. Using sunlight or the reflection from a white wall works wonders. This way, even with an open sky and the possibility of darker faces, the reflecting lights will brighten everyone’s faces in those images.
- You can either use a point and shoot camera or try your hand at using a DSLR camera. Of course, the results will be poles apart because of the advanced features provided in DSLR cameras. However, the images will be remarkable nonetheless.
- Don’t use sideways or downward angles while taking group photographs. Here, you can use a tripod or hold the camera in such a way that your hands are not moving involuntarily. The images need to be centered so that the group’s photographs come clean. Also, it’s alright if you can’t include the sky along with the people. Outdoor photographs don’t necessarily require the sky background in them.
While you’re taking group photographs or any other photographs for that matter, practice, practice, and more practice. Keep experimenting with your camera, try different backgrounds, and see what results you get. The more you get familiar with your camera, the better chances you have to get amazing images.
There is no easy way out to clicking good pictures as most would think. It is not something that you can learn only in a studio or with the assistance of great photographers. Good pictures are all about having the ability to see the possibility of a good frame and also being in the right place at the right time. Most fantastic photographs are rarely planned. Given below are some useful photography tips that can give you great results.
How to take Good Shots
It doesn’t always matter if you have the latest model of the camera or the leading brands in the market. Whenever you are deciding upon the subject or the moment you come across some very exciting element in nature, look out for the area around the subject. It may be nature photography you are interested in, and having a cluttered background around your subject can actually cause it to merge rather than create an emphasis about what you want to portray through the picture.
Is it not necessary that one should use a flash only at night. In photography, a flash is useful on cloudy days when it can to throw some light onto the subject. Photographs that are clicked in bright sunlight can cause harsh shadows on the face, and this would definitely not flatter any person. In such cases, use the flash to even out the harsh light on the object, which would also result in better clarity of the picture.
It is not always compulsory to keep your subject at the center of the frame. This is one very useful photography tip; having your subject off center can help to create some dynamic and very interesting compositions. You will need to visualize a grid which would help you in planning a better composition.
Develop the skills of using lines within the composition. You need to develop an eye to see geometrical patterns within the frame. The use of curves, diagonals, and straight lines can help to create an added element of interest for any picture.
Study the direction of light and how it can help to enhance your subject. Harsh light is a strict no no for portraits. Refer to the works of great photographers and study the distribution of light. Use soft lighting for people photographs. For landscapes, long shadows and photographs that are clicked in the early morning hours and late evenings can give dramatic results.
If you are looking to understand how to take good pictures, you need to realize one basic thing. It all depends on your power of observation. When you are out clicking photographs, you can also observe and hunt for some reflections and shadows that can help to add depth to an otherwise boring structure or backdrop.
Having everything in focus may not always work wonders for you. At times, you can have your subject in focus and keep the background slightly blurred. This is possible through the use of different apertures settings, and you can know more about the manual settings once you refer to the camera guide.
It is definitely up to the photographer to use his/her skills to the best of their ability. Following the basic rules can help you get the best possible frames. To be able to take good pictures also depends upon the extent to which you develop your skills. Ensure that you refer to the latest trends in photography and be up-to-date with the developments as well. And of course, be creative.
This is the dream of every couple to capture all the moments of their kids to keep them longer as a golden memory. Clicking the best snaps of your kids is not an easy job. It needs maximum care and consideration for the professionals too. And the thing that your need to keep in mind is getting in touch with the trusted professionals of the industry for availing the needed benefits.
Prior to approaching experts for Kids Photography in Houston or some other parts of the world, you need to take care of several aspects. Some of them are listed here: –
- Proficient Knowledge of Photography: – This is one of the most common aspects that you need to keep in your mind. Make sure that the professionals you are going to hire have proper knowledge of the respective domain. This will help you to get the best photos clicked by the professionals of the industry. Hence, you must not forget to ensure about the aspect for hiring the experts.
- Use of Advanced Cameras: – Make sure that the professionals you are going to hire use the best and advanced cameras for clicking the pics. If the professionals use the best cameras for clicking the images, then you will surely get the best shots clicked for your kids. Advanced cameras are equipped with advanced features and are capable of producing the best quality images. Therefore, using these cameras by the professionals will surely help you to get the best images and that too with ease.
- Effective Developing of Images: – It is also needed for you to ensure that the professionals you are going to approach are capable of developing the best grade images for the people. Make sure that they use the best and effective techniques for developing the clicked images. Doing this will surely help you to get the best images delivered by the experts of the industry in an easier way.
With an effective consideration of these common aspects, you will surely be able to hire the professionals of the industry. You just need to search online and get the list of available companies. Simply approach a trusted one and hire the professional photographers of the industry in an easier way. These experts will help you to get the best images clicked and that too in an easier way. You will also get their effective services at industry leading rates visit online..
Tempting Visuals of any product play a significant role in increasing its market sell. If your website is not making business as per expectations chances are high that the product is not properly shown to customers that is why they are not taking interest in purchasing. As said earlier visuals really play vital role in selling any item. Commercial product photography is a newbie in the market but quite effective. Gone are the days of the traditional pictures. As they say sell the sizzle, not the steak. This professional photography make the product look expressive and hence attract the customers.
Current Photography Trend
Today some portion of USP of a website is decided by the graphics & pictures it is home of. Window shoppers like me often go for tempting pictures so I don’t have go through all the description. If images are not up to the quality & clarity viewers like me lose interest very quickly. Graphics & images bring the customer. With high clarity & HD photography people will stay interested in your website. The professionally captured pictures are good quality & immediately appeals to customer. Such images hike the sale on the website & bring profit to the brand. It boosts the ranking of the website in search engine results. When there are a number of products available on the same page, then the commercial product photography makes significant difference.
DSLR camera is owned by any Tom, Dick & Harry these days. They also claim to click the product pictures. However, when compared to professionally clicked pictures they stand nowhere. Only properly trained photographers can do best product photography. A ton of equipments are needed when doing this kind of photography like, lenses & tripods, lightings, etc.
Photo editing is equally important. The software that is being used for editing must be high quality. These kinds of software are used to give final touch ups. This is a bit tedious and hence only professionals can handle this affair with perfection. Sometimes, shot is taken in busy area of whose backgrounds can distract the customer/viewer. With this editing skill & technique, you can bind viewer’s attention to the product.
There are some professional photography services available at affordable rates. These firms are fully equipped and have best techniques. They are readily available for urgent photo shoots. They are loaded with best photographers and they hold expertise in their field of operation.
General Tips for Aerial Photography
Both DSLRs and point-and-shoot cameras can work fine for aerial shots. However, DSLRs allow more options for adjusting shutter speed, aperture, white balance, etc. A zoom lens will ofter more versatility and quality in the pictures. To get the best images when using a point-and-shoot, be sure to use only optical zoom and not digital to prevent shakiness caused by the buzzing aircraft.
Look for sunlight depending on the time and the kind of effect you need. Overcast skies will give you soft light and shadows, while clear skies at noon will give you brighter light with lesser shadows. This usually takes some practice before you can judge when the daylight will be optimal to shoot the object in the way you like.
Weather is important for all aerial shots, as all aircraft and drones are vulnerable to bad weather. Also, you may have to look for weather components such as fog and mist, which can either add or detract from your image. For most images, however, a clear dry sky is preferred.
Filters are rarely needed for aerial photos as they just tend to reduce picture sharpness. Use a fast shutter speed (1/1000 to 1/500 sec) to minimize the effects of the aircraft vibrations. A wide angle fast lens (f/11 to f/2.8) will help keep the ISO to 100 or 200, thereby increasing the quality of even those photographs which have movement.
If you plan to use airplanes, your best option would be a craft with high wings, without struts, as you will get an unobstructed view. However, helicopters are slower, and give you more time to observe any object before you take the shot. Also, your pilot will be able to help you plan your excursion, and can advise you about the atmospheric conditions to expect.
Most good photos have a focal point, i.e., any object which will attract the eye of the viewer. It could be anything from geological formation, animals, plants, buildings, etc. It will take a few tries before you get a hang of selecting the object, and picture position of the focal point.
The sky can be an important element in your photo. Plain cloudless skies do not contribute to the image, and the focus should be on the foreground. However, if the sky has some interesting colors and cloud formations, you can include this into your picture composition.
Dawn and dusk are the favorite times for most photographers, as you are able to capture great shadows, shades of red, gold, and other softer colors. Also, city scenes tend to get more active and can get you some great in-motion shots.
Reflections While Taking Aerial Shots Through Windows
Almost all airplanes have the issue of windows which are either grimy or reflect excessive light, making it difficult to get a good shot. Your best option would be to ask permission and clean the windows before the flight. Also, to reduce glare, make sure that the lens of your camera is as close as possible to the window. Alternately, for images without any obstructions, you can use helicopters with open doors.
Using Drones For Aerial Photographs
Cheap drone cameras, while good for still photos, don’t give good quality images in less than ideal conditions or with movement. If you are serious about drone photography, you can look to spend at least 600 USD or more, for high quality images. They give good stability and even a good digital downlink, which is important for first-person views.
Look for cameras with professional gimbals if you can afford it.
Most drones can fly for a period of 20-25 minutes before needing a recharge. Use this time to check out the object you want to photograph, from different angles. This will help you to find the best view and get some really beautiful images. Just remember, greater height can give wider views, but that does not necessarily translate to great photos.
Most professional photography drones come with a GPS function, which will surely help in increasing picture quality. Using the GPS mode allows you to just hover the drone in an area, without continuously having to be on the controls, allowing you to focus leisurely on the images you want to take.
Good quality drones allow you to click both moving and still pictures. However, for pictures with motion, you will have to customize shutter speed and aperture. High shutter speeds and low apertures will allow you to take good images, without excess light exposure.
Underwater photography is about unveiling a world that exists beneath the deep seas. To master this art, one would need to be an excellent swimmer and know the latest deep-sea diving techniques. It requires the use of special photography equipment and also an eye for detail. It offers numerous challenges and provides a whole new world of opportunities to the photographer. Apart from being highly skilled in swimming, an underwater photographer must also be mentally prepared to face all the challenges he/she faces in the deep waters. Unavoidable natural circumstances may occur wherein the photographer may have to rely on his instinct and attitude to squirm out of a tricky situation.
Colorful Tropical Fish
For this kind of photography, one must always remember that the medium the light travels through is not air, but water. The main thing to watch out for by an underwater photographer is to maintain the balance of color and contrast. The subjects available can vary from the marine life to coral reefs, underwater caves, and shipwrecks. Every plunge in the roaring waves will reveal new subjects and landscapes to capture.
You would also require the latest equipment. The cameras should primarily have the sea mode, land mode, and also an external flash mode. This is essential to obtain better quality pictures even in the most adverse conditions. One of the most difficult aspects of this type of photography remains the use of the flash. The photographer has to achieve the right balance between natural light and the use of flash. Modern cameras have tried to implement new techniques to simplify this process, as natural light and visibility are often limited.
Underwater digital cameras also have built in features for color correction filters and flash diffusers and they are also equipped with complete storage and image editing software. This adds to the sophistication of the camera and also makes them easy to manipulate as per the situation.
The ones available today are completely high tech and are used not only for personal reasons but also for exploring, monitoring swim areas, and fishing and also for documenting shipwrecks. Today, we also have offshore trolling cameras. These have been designed specially for the videographers and fishermen.
Underwater photography has its own limitations in terms of the conditions the photographer has to face. But the true skill of the photographer solely remains in his/her ability to overcome these problems and shoot his/her best frame ever.
Basic Tips and Ideas
When you dive into the ocean, ensure you do it sans your camera. Diving with your camera will easily flood the camera with water. Therefore always procure or pass the equipment (once you are in the water) to another person on the boat.
Do not drag your equipment once you are in the deep waters. This may cause damage to the marine life.
Use an upward angle of the camera to obtain dramatic results.
Be constantly aware of all the dive gear that may float before your lens.
Ensure you use the empty space for text or graphics that can be added on, later.
The best time to take the plunge is around midday. The sun being overhead would illuminate the subjects underwater.
The underwater world changes often at the very blink of an eye. Perhaps this is what fascinates people all over and they overlook the risk factors and dive into the depth of the oceans. The vivid colors, the dangers lurking around the corner, the peace and the tranquility, all add to the mystery and aura of the underwater life. No prizes for guessing why this remains to be one of the most popular forms of photography even today!